A SERIES OF EXPERIMENTS TO RE-IMAGINE ADVERTISING.
A Time of Change
In the 1960's, advertising went through a creative revolution that changed everything simply by partnering up art directors and copywriters. The idea of a creative team made up of art and copy was born.
Today, it’s happening again. We’re in the midst of a second creative revolution, driven by technology. Code is being added to the core creative process, enabling new forms of brand expression and engagement. Art, copy and code is the creative team for the connected world.
The Idea Is Still King
What hasn’t changed is the need for human insights, breakthrough ideas and emotional stories. Code facilitates new kinds of experiences, but it doesn’t replace the storytelling skills the advertising industry has honed over the past fifty years. Our connected world is giving brands more dimensions and touch points, but they still need something compelling to offer in order to create a real connection.
A Series of Experiments
How will the modern web shape the future of advertising? We’re partnering with the innovative brands, storytellers and makers who are defining it to find out.
Gender 50 would be female
50 would be male
Age 26 would be 0-14
66 would be 15-64
8 would be 65 and older
Geography 60 would be from Asia
15 would be from Africa
11 would be from Europe
9 would be from Latin America & the Caribbean
5 would be from North America
Religion 33 would be Christian
22 would be Muslim
14 would be Hindu
7 would be Buddhist
12 would believe in other religions
12 would not be religious or identify themselves
as being aligned with a particular faith
First Language 12 would speak Chinese
5 would speak Spanish
5 would speak English
3 would speak Arabic
3 would speak Hindi
3 would speak Bengali
3 would speak Portuguese
2 would speak Russian
2 would speak Japanese
62 would speak other languages
Overall Literacy 83 would be able to read and write
17 would not
Literacy by Gender 88 males would be able to read and write
12 males would not be able to read and write
79 females would be able to read and write
21 females would not be able to read and write
Education 76 eligible males would have a primary school education
72 eligible females would have a primary school education
66 eligible males would have a secondary school education
63 eligible females would have a secondary school education
7 would have a college degree
Urban/Rural 51 would be urban dwellers
49 would be rural dwellers
Drinking Water 87 would have access to safe drinking water
13 would use unimproved water
Food 15 would be undernourished
Poverty 48 would live on less than $2 USD per day
1 out of 2 children would live in poverty
Electricity 78 would have electricity
22 would not
Technology 75 would be cell phone users
30 would be active internet users
22 would own or share a computer
Sanitation 65 would have improved sanitation
16 would have no toilets
19 would have unimproved toilets
Travel Times in Manhattan. The average commute across the country. The average travel time to work in the United States is 25.4 minutes, according to the U.S. Census Bureau
The map was created by James Cheshire, Ed Manley, and John Barratt, who collected 8.5 million geo-located tweets between January 2010 and February 2013. To build the image itself, they placed a point every 50 meters across the city. Tweets falling in close proximity were translated into a grid that you see here.
The trends are immediately fascinating. Midtown Manhattan is hugely multilingual, like a someone spilled a jar of confetti across the island--and in fact, the only other place that’s so diverse is probably JFK International Airport. Spanish speakers seem to web their way into every borough, focusing a stronghold in the Bronx, while Russian rules Brighton Beach and Portuguese dominates Newark.
Of course, all of these bursts of color represent a mere 6% of all tweeting in the city, with the other 94% belonging to English speakers (who, of course, may have multilingual speaking patterns that aren’t represented by their tweeting patterns). Even still, projects like this one are fascinating from an urban planning perspective. A relatively simple analysis of big data reveals, with extreme specificity, where various nationalities reside inside a giant urban melting pot. Even the minor possible interactions one can glean from this--like should the city distribute language-specific emergency information to certain blocks?--seem powerful on the sense of scale alone.
It makes you wonder, with all the data hiding inside, will social media ever have a chance to improve our lives? Or will the vast majority of it merely be leveraged to sell us extremely specific jeans?